Perlo Construction oversees and constructs new buildings in nearly all commercial market segments, including tenant improvements, existing building renovations and healthcare. With continued positive growth, we are looking for talented, like-minded professionals to join our team in the eternal pursuit of excellence. Perlo offers the opportunity to build a career in a supportive culture empowering self-starters who thrive in a fun and fast-paced environment. Recently, Perlo was listed as a Top Workplace by the Oregonian, one of the 100 Best Companies to work for in Oregon as well as one of Oregon’s 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies.
Perlo is seeking interns to join our Construction Services Department. This position will be located in Portland, Oregon.
An Intern’s job is to assist and support the assigned Project Manager in executing construction procedures and ensuring they are completed in a timely and efficient manner by performing the duties below. Most interns are college students pursuing a degree in Construction Engineering Management or similar area of study. Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist and support the assigned Project Manager in oversight of each project from conception to the finished structure.
- Ability to read blueprints, structural drawings and plan sets, or have the willingness to learn these tasks.
- Identify and respond to potential issues throughout the life of the project.
Other job duties for this position include the following:
- Identify and respond to potential issues throughout the life of the project to minimize the potential negative impacts and help ensure the safety of the work.
- Assist the Project Manager in estimating both construction management and self-perform work items.
- Assist the Project Manager in updating the project schedule.
- Assist the Project Manager in reviewing and evaluating subcontractor bid proposals.
- Review submittals and RFI’s.
- Track down and assemble pricing for change orders for review by the Project Manager.
- Participate in onsite meetings with the client, architect, subcontractors, and construction crew.
- Collaborate with the architect, subcontractors, and construction crew to ensure feasibility of each project.
- Support the quality control and punch list process.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from the Project Manager and Vice President of Construction Services.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Maintains professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following interpersonal skills:
- Ability to express ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form
- Ability to exhibit good listening and comprehension
- Ability to select and use appropriate communication methods
- Ability to vary communication style to meet different needs
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relations
- Ability to help and support co-workers
- Ability to display passion and optimism
- Ability to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events
- Ability to display original thinking and creativity
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgment
- Ability to make timely decisions
- Ability to work cooperatively in group situations
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education & Experience
0 to 2 year(s) related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Pursuing a degree in Construction Engineering Management or similar area of study preferred.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations
Must have excellent phone etiquette and verbal communication skills and be able to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Ability to read and interpret documents; to write routine reports and correspondence including memos, emails and other documents. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with, and persuade customers and other stakeholders, by e-mail, telephone and contract craftsmanship.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook; Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; and Microsoft Project. Bluebeam, Viewpoint and/or AIA Construction Software knowledge preferred.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to make quick decisions and commit to a clear course of action.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use stairways to climb to multiple floors within office building, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands and fingers to type or dial, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This position requires frequent computer use. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.