As one of the longest standing commercial general contractors in Oregon, Perlo Construction has established a reputation of quality, professionalism, and integrity. Building and growing in nearly every industry, Perlo offers career opportunities in a supportive culture empowering self-starters who thrive in a fun and fast-paced environment. Perlo is consistently listed as a Top Workplace by the Oregonian, one of the 100 Best Companies to work for in Oregon as well as one of Oregon’s 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies, achieving their coveted Lighthouse Award in 2020.
The position is responsible for completing construction project budgets when provided with varying level of details regarding the project, as well as assembling proposals and detailed estimates for a variety of construction projects.
- Reads construction documents and performs quantity take offs to assemble budgets and estimates.
- Understands subcontractor scopes of work and evaluate subcontractor proposals for completeness and potential issues.
- Able to meet critical deadlines for pre-construction deliverables.
- Works with the subcontractor coordinator to ensure that the proper subcontractors are solicited for proposals.
- Understands construction costs including material, labor, and equipment.
- Has a basic understanding of construction scheduling and safety practices.
- Travels to and leads pre-bid job walks with clients and subcontractors.
- Completes detailed estimates of subcontract and self-performed work items performed.
- Clearly communicates assumptions and methods to allow others to track methods.
- Develops skills to present preconstruction deliverables to clients.
- Clearly communicates with subcontractors regarding scope of work and pricing.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from the Chief Estimator.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally
- Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension
- Selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Writes clearly and informatively
- Varies communication style to meet needs
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
- Establishes and maintains effective relations
- Works cooperatively in group situations
- Balances team and individual responsibilities
- Communicates changes effectively
- Adapts to changes in the work environment
- Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Displays willingness to make decisions
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment
- Includes appropriate people in decision-making process
- Makes timely decisions
- Able to effectively multitask
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in a related field or equivalent industry experience is required.
Certificates, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
Must have excellent phone etiquette and verbal communication skills and be able to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Ability to read and interpret documents; to write routine reports and correspondence including memos, emails and other documents. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with, and persuade customers and other stakeholders, by e-mail, telephone and contract craftsmanship.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of PDF Takeoff software, subcontractor database software, word processing software, and spreadsheet software. Viewpoint and/or AIA Construction Software knowledge preferred.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to make quick decisions and commit to a clear course of action.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use stairways to climb to multiple floors within office building, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands and fingers to type or dial, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. This position requires frequent computer use. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.