“We work hard, we take care of our people, and we always do what’s right.”
– The Perlo Way
When we came up with “The Perlo Way,” we had no idea we’d be tested the way we’re being tested now. COVID-19 is the challenge of the century. And yet, we know that by staying grounded in our core beliefs, we’ll get to the other side stronger than ever.
#PerloStrong: More than just a hashtag.
#PerloStrong started with our people in the field. It encapsulates our drive to dig in and face this challenge with grit and determination.
#PerloStrong has generated a flurry of activity. Our risk management and IT teams, along with many family members, took on the herculean task of sewing masks for our employees and their families, as well as for clients, project owners, and partners. Our marketing team is delivering lunches to work sites. Our executives are visiting projects to coordinate with superintendents to make sure they have the safety equipment they need. Our safety team has even started setting up temperature screening protocols on several projects.
Our key goals for Perlo at this time are simple:
- To look after the health of every team member.
- To continue to be a business that supports the lives of hundreds of employees and their families.
- To deliver on our commitments to our clients.
- To give back to our community.
Keeping our people safe.
Health and safety have to come first. Perlo has implemented many new policies and initiatives over the last month that go well above and beyond the CDC guidelines and state mandates.
Specifically, we’ve taken the following precautions:
- Installed handwashing stations at all job sites, complete with water, soap dispensers, and paper towel dispensers.
- Banned all in-person meetings or group gatherings inside job trailers or at the office.
- Asked workers to take breaks and eat meals in their own vehicles.
- Implemented six-foot social distancing for all work activities, overseen by a Social Distancing Officer at all sites.
- Provided all field workers with masks to wear onsite.
- Encouraged all office employees to work remotely.
- Implemented more frequent cleaning and disinfection of surfaces.
- Re-designed entrance and exit locations at job sites to enable safety measures.
- Posted signage to remind workers of new safety requirements.
- Revamped COVID-19 “Toolbox Talks” to educate all employees on new policies.
Focusing on our culture.
At Perlo, we play together to stay together. Even in this strange time of social distancing, face masks, and constant handwashing, our team spirit is what keeps us going strong.
To maintain our culture, we’ve launched a “Perlo Challenge” that poses new challenges for employees each week, with fun raffle prizes at the end. We’re holding virtual happy hours, bingo games, and have moved our in-house educational book club to a virtual platform. In addition, we’re sharing wellness tips and ways to manage stress, so that we all have the tools to cope in this “new normal.”
Supporting our communities.
We recognize that it does take a village. Perlo has always supported the community by investing volunteer hours and other resources into critical non-profits like Meals on Wheels and Children’s Cancer Association. Through this crisis, we’re stepping up our efforts. We’re maintaining our sponsorship commitments to fundraisers that have been canceled. Wherever we can, we’re continuing to support local restaurants and other suppliers to help them stay in business. In early May, we’ll be holding a blood drive for Perlo employees to help augment hospital supplies.
Staying grounded in our mission.
By upholding the strictest safety standards, finding ways to keep our people connected, and giving back to our surrounding communities, we’ll continue to follow our mission: to do what’s right. This singular mission is at the heart of #PerloStrong. We thank each and every one of our employees for being strong and keeping an eye on what’s ahead. Together, we do see a better future.