Perlo Construction oversees and constructs new buildings in nearly all commercial market segments, including tenant improvements, existing building renovations and healthcare. With continued positive growth, we are looking for talented, like-minded professionals to join our team in the eternal pursuit of excellence. Perlo offers the opportunity to build a career in a supportive culture empowering self-starters who thrive in a fun and fast-paced environment. Recently, Perlo was listed as a Top Workplace by the Oregonian, one of the 100 Best Companies to work for in Oregon as well as one of Oregon’s 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies.
Perlo is seeking Project Interns to join our Construction Services Department. This position will be located in Portland, Oregon.
A Project Intern’s job is to assist and support the assigned Project Manager in executing construction procedures and ensuring they are completed in a timely and efficient manner by performing the duties below. Most interns are college students pursuing a degree in Construction Engineering Management or similar area of study. Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assists and supports the assigned Project Manager in oversight of each project from conception to the finished structure.
- Reads blueprints, structural drawings and plan sets, or have the willingness to learn these tasks.
- Identifies and responds to potential issues throughout the life of the project.
Other job duties for this position include the following:
- Assists the Project Manager in estimating both construction management and self-perform work items.
- Assists the Project Manager in updating the project schedule.
- Assists the Project Manager in reviewing and evaluating subcontractor bid proposals.
- Reviews and assembles submittals and RFI’s.
- Tracks down and assembles pricing for change orders for review by the Project Manager.
- Participates in onsite meetings with the client, architect, subcontractors, and construction crew. Assembles meeting minutes.
- Collaborates with the architect, subcontractors, and construction crew to ensure feasibility of each project.
- Supports the quality control and punch list process.
- Completes quantity take-offs.
- Completes monthly safety overview audits.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from the Project Manager and Senior Vice President of Construction Services.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following interpersonal skills:
- Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally
- Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension
- Selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Writes clearly and informatively
- Varies communication style to meet needs
- Establishes and maintains effective relations
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
- Exhibits tact and consideration
- Works cooperatively in group situations
- Works actively to resolve conflicts
- Able to effectively multitask
- Displays passion and optimism
- Inspires respect and trust
- Confronts difficult situations
- Uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts
- Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Adapts to changes in the work environment
- Changes approach or method to best fit the situation
- Displays ability to influence key decision-makers
- Uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals
- Displays original thinking and creativity
- Balances team and individual responsibilities
- Communicates changes effectively
- Prepares and supports those affected by change
- Exhibits confidence in self and others
- Inspires and motivates others to perform well
- Cost management
- Displays willingness to make decisions
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment
- Includes appropriate people in decision-making process
- Makes timely decisions
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education & Experience
Preferred: 0 to 2 year(s) related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Pursuing a degree in Construction Engineering Management or similar area of study.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations
Must have excellent phone etiquette and verbal communication skills and be able to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Ability to read and interpret documents; to write routine reports and correspondence including memos, emails and other documents. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with, and persuade customers and other stakeholders, by e-mail, telephone and contract craftsmanship.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook; Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; and Microsoft Project. Bluebeam, Viewpoint and/or AIA Construction Software knowledge preferred.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to make quick decisions and commit to a clear course of action.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use stairways to climb to multiple floors within office building, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands and fingers to type or dial, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. This position requires frequent computer use. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.